Friday, January 23, 2015

The measure of color

Hello friends!

It's me, Jelissa,  on the 13@rts blog today. I have a layout and some tips to share with you, and I've tried to do a few different things after a friend challenged me to go out of my comfort zone.

So what I did differently was to use bright colors instead of my usual mixture of neutral and cool colors. I've used a neutral beige as my base (because it helps to balance your colors and lets your eyes rest from all the excitement), orange and salmon as my secondary colors, and yellow as an accent. This is a general rule I use to decide how much of each color I want to have on my project - 

1) one main color (dominant color - beige)
2) 1 to 2 secondary colors (for movement and mood - orange, salmon)
3) 1 accent color (something to highlight and give it a pop - yellow)

And I use them usually in this proportion, with "Gallon" being the most and "Dollop" being the least:

"Gallon" (dominant color) -> "Quart" (secondary color 1) -> "Pint" (secondary color 2) ->
"Dollop" (accent color)

I also deliberately used a black and white photo to make the colors I have more outstanding, and I didn't count the black I used in my stamping and splatters as a color per se. 

Most of my secondary colors are in the background elements, while my accent color is used in places to highlight my elements eg. photo mat to lead your eyes to the photo of my cute little boy and his long eye lashes, and the balancing cluster with the frame and the pale yellow chrysanthemum.

Another fun thing I tried out was using the Silver Glitter paint as an adhesive. I put small drops of it where I wanted my dew drops and put them on. The result is a beautiful glittery effect inside the plain looking dew drops.

So that's all I have for this month, hope you find the tips on using color useful!


Thursday, January 15, 2015

Project Restoration with 13@rts

Happy Thursday friends!

Today I'm up on the 13@rts blog with my first project for them for 2015. For that, I've taken an abandoned altered project and tried to give it a second lease of life.

Here's the art palette I tried to work on about 8 months ago but couldn't find the inspiration to continue with:

Nothing that a (few) layers of gesso can't do. Here's the same palette again and I manage to retain the textures from the stenciled design.

And after some tinkling around (and of course I was inspired by my fabulous team mate Ingrid Gooyer), here is the restored art palette:

I've used a lot of 13@rts mediums here - the modeling paste, acrylic primer, gel medium, and of course their lovely matte paints and mists. My favourite colors for now (which I used here) are Berry (both matte paint and mist), Lilac (chalk mist), Cobalt Blue (matte paint) and Coral (matte paint).

Some close-ups:

I created a little bundle of brushes with two of my own (already destroyed by my constant usage) and the Artist Brush chipboards from Blue Fern Studios. To create the bristles, I used the gold glitter strips from 13arts and sealed them down with gel medium. To create texture on the rest of my palette, I held the microspheres from the 13@rts store with lots of modeling paste, glass beads which I got from the neighbourhood stationary shop, a piece of lace, dry-wall tape and torn canvas strips. 

Suddenly I'm into these twine bundles and I've made another one here to hold my brushes together. They were then given a coat of crackle paint. Underneath all that are the Checker bits and Grunge Frame chipboards, also from BFS. 

Another cluster and a closer look at what I did to the chipboards. White embossing powder was used as a resist for the Checkered Bits while the Frame had random spots of crackle paint. I also used the the Art stencil to add in some sentiments on top of my title piece (Express Yourself, BFS). 

More floral clusters.

That's all I have for today. Thank you for dropping by!


Saturday, January 10, 2015

Debut post for Wild Orchid Crafts

Hello lovely folks! How has your Saturday been?

Today I'm presenting my debut post for Wild Orchid Crafts and my project is a sweet shabby mini-tag album embellished with lots of WOC products.

I've used papers from the "Coffee in the Arbor" collection by Maja Design (6x6 paper pad) and trimmed them down to size. Also used are chipboards from Blue Fern Studios, which I absolutely love!

But you would agree with me that the most eye-catching part about the mini-album would be the gorgeous flowers from WOC. I have on my cover chrysanthemums, roses and sweet blossoms, all available from the WOC store.

The clock hands are from the small Roman clock chipboard, but the clock ring is actually a piece of metal embellishment from WOC, which I have altered.

Some inside pages:

My album ended up quite chunky because I just had to use these lovely 3D flowers on every page (well, almost every page).

Keeping the pages simple for photos and sentiments.

And here is my start-to-finish video tutorial:

List of supplies:

WOC products:

Mixed Size Open Roses MKX-599
Mixed Colour Sweetheart Blossom MKX-137
Mixed White Flowers & Rhinestone Embellishment Starter Pack MKX-323
Mixed Colour Chrysanthemums QVR-080
2-Toned Mixed Colour Wild Roses 30mm QVE-040
Mixed Clocks and Time Metal Embellishments GST-158
Vintage Cabochons Copenhagen MKX-195


Mediums: 13@rts, Luminarte Silks Glaze, Rangers, Lindy's Stamp Gang
Papers: Maja Design (Coffee in the Arbor collection)
Chipboard embellishments: Blue Fern Studios (Memory Frame Set, Roman clock set,
Chipboard tag album: Um Wow Studio
Trim, Twine: own stash

And here's a giveaway special! If you would like to own this mini tag album that I've created, just complete the following steps (international shipping included):

1) Subscribe to my blog and Youtube channel
2) Follow Wild Orchid Crafts on their blog and FB page 
3) Leave a comment below before 14 Jan 2015 (12 noon GMT+8) and I'll pick a winner on the 15th.
That's all I have for today. Have a crafty weekend!