Tuesday, March 25, 2014

the big day - DT work for Blue Fern Studios

(just an update, I've taken the LO and close-ups out as it's being published. Everything will be back to normal after July)

Hello everyone! We're almost at the end of March, can you believe it?!

Today I have a layout I created for Blue Fern Studios using their beautiful paper collection "Blue Fern Garden". I cannot get enough of this paper line - the colors are soft and shabby and just perfect for my mixed media projects. I'm also trying to do a huge project where I take photos that I have scrapped before and re-style them - something like a now-and-then sort of thing. And here is the "then":


This was made more than 3 years ago. I was already a mixed media wannabe back then but had no idea where to start out and there were very few tutorials back then. See if you can spot the different mediums I used (there are at least two). Now, anyone can have access to so many online workshops and tutorials, and mixed media classes are a popular choice at scrapbook stores as well.
And this is the remake using Blue Fern Gardens:


How different is that? I can't say which is my favourite because they each represent different stages of my learning journey. But I do love the various products available in the market now that helps a scrapper make his/her page unique. It's interesting to see how the industry has evolved and I'm so glad to be part of it at this point.

Some close-ups:


 I've used the Rose Bouquet chippie, what a beautiful piece!  I used one half of the chippie for this corner cluster. I covered it with gesso and painted it over with some Lindy's Stamp Gang Magicals and Color Shots. After that I randomly sprinkled clear embossing powder and heat set them. The result is a very uneven texture with small drops of embossed surface looking like dew. Lastly I patted some Shimmerz Dazzlers over the leaves and flowers. In this cluster, I have also tucked the key piece from Romantic Page Dangles under my photo and I only did simple heat embossing.


These papers are gorgeous and I mentioned this in a previous post. My go-to supply has always been regular gesso but when I got these papers, I really wanted the patterns to show up so now clear gesso is a must-have for me. It gives me the same water-color effect because it works like regular gesso but you don't lose the designs on the paper itself. I used plenty of LSGs and 13@rts paints on the background, followed a thin layer of texture paste on different stencils just for interest.


The other half of the Rose Bouquet. You can see the speckled effect of the heat embossing on the flowers more clearly here. For my title I used "The Big Day" from "Wedding Words" and painted it with three different greens before heat embossing it. 

And this is all I have for today. If you have now-and-then projects of your photos, do share it with me!
Until then, happy scrapping!

love,

4 comments:

  1. Just LOOOVE how you've re-scrapped this pic....& the MM looks great..I'm a big fan of heat embossing at random, too...gives a great effect:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow both of these are beautiful barbecue they both were created with love.. The second one just has more to the back ground and more embellies.. really love both of them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. how cool is this!! Two comments from two Lizzy's!!

    Lizzy-H: the random heat embossing is so fun right? I know I'm not the only one who loves it

    Lizzy C: thanks so much... if you wanna know, the first one took me nearly a month to make. i wanted to submit it for the color room challenge back then and guess what, the challenge only runs for a week so I was really face-palming myself when I finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! D colour palette n layering effects r stunning.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for dropping a note, it means so much to me!