Sunday, October 5, 2014

Little thoughts goes a long way with OTRS

Hello friends!

How has your weekend been? I'm back in on a Saturday while my beef rendang (that's a Southeast-Asian beef curry, absolutely yummy!) is simmering in my brand new Dutch oven. Hooray for weekends when we have friends over to join in my culinary adventures :D

I have two projects for Off the Rails Scrapbooking to show you, and both are made with papers and chipboards from Blue Fern Studios. The first is based on this month's challenge:




What a pretty and vibrant color palette! Although I managed to make it all sweet and pretty with the new BFS paper collection Montage for a mixed media card:

The background was created with 13arts Ayeeda Matte Paint in Blue, and some stenciled designs using Ayeeda Acrylic Modeling Paste. I also added some random stamping as well.


The chipboard (Marakesh, Blue Fern Studios) was painted with Bourdeaux Pearl Mist from 13arts and dabbed with some Ayeeda Gold Pearl paint. Love the shimmery look it adds. The sentiment for the card came from one of the sheets of Montage paper.

My second project is a quick and easy mini-tag which I made for my mixed media workshop students at Made With Love. This was created with another Blue Fern paper collection Ombre Dreams.


I've used papers from Blue Fern Studio's Ombre Dreams collection as my background. This particular sheet is white-washed with bits of color, so it was perfect for whatever other mediums I wanted to add on subsequently.

I mixed in some Lindy's Stamp Gang's Magicals to tint the soft gel I was going to spread over a butterfly mask for the background. After that was some simple stamping with a word stamp.

Next, I took a chipboard which I cut out a bird cage with a Sizzix die and painted some metallic distress crackle paint over it. If you're using crackle medium, prime your surface with gesso first as it will help the medium to hold.

Lastly, it was adding bit of splatters with a mixture of Ayeeda Liquid medium and black acrylic paint.

Here's a close-up where you can see the stenciled soft gel butterflies better. Soft gel is a wonderful alternative to texture paste and it retains whatever color you add to it (it dries transparent), and still give a subtle look where your background paper is still visible. 


That's all I have for today. Thanks for dropping by!

love,


1 comment:

  1. Both are gorgeous.. I am going to have to check out this challenge.. Love the inspiration.. Just my colours xx

    ReplyDelete

thank you for dropping a note, it means so much to me!